Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - Spiced Sweet Roasted Red Pepper Hummus


Things are starting to settle and we are getting back into some of our usual routines.  So last Saturday, I got up early and went and picked up my Bountiful Basket.  I have to admit that I am thrilled to bits that the pick-up time here in Gilbert is 7:30am unlike Las Vegas where I had to drag my ass out of bed to get there by 6:30am.  My pick-up consisted of the the usual awesomeness of fresh fruits and vegetables that sent me home with culinary excitement!  If you are not familiar with bountifulbaskets.org then I highly recommend you check it out!



In our bounty of fruits and vegetables, we received 2 red bell peppers.  Well, I have to tell you that the McConnell's are not big fans of bell peppers....NONE OF US!  However, Michael and I both enjoy a little roasted red pepper hummus.  So I scrounged up an old favorite recipe from Allrecipes.com.  If you look at the recipe, you will notice that it calls for a 4 oz. jar of roasted red peppers, but I didn't need those since I had fresh ones.  I set to roasting my own peppers using the technique recommended by Allrecipes.com.  Go ahead and check out the link, this method is so simple and produces far superior results than the jarred peppers!  I used one for the recipe and I froze the other one for later use.

You will notice that the recipe calls for tahini (sesame butter) which may seem like a foreign ingredient to some.  This ingredient is the key to making good hummus no matter what recipe you follow!  If you live in the US, they sell it at Fresh and Easy Markets for a reasonable price.  Also, my secret to making good hummus is putting it in a food processor and turning the thing on and walking away for AT LEAST 3 minutes.  This is what makes it creamy!  I also like to use chipotle chili pepper in place of the cayenne pepper.  It lends a smokiness to the flavor.



It's funny, I have a decent library of cookbooks (and yes, they are all unpacked) which I use often, however, it is amazing how frequently I find myself using Allrecipes.  I like the fact that you can search by ingredient and read the reviews.  Then, if you enjoy the recipe you can save it in your "Recipe Box" for later use.

Shar






2 comments:

Dwija {House Unseen} said...

Mmmmm, that sounds delish. And Allrecipes is my favorite online recipe site, too. So much selection and tons of reviews!

Shar said...

Dwija, have you ever tried the "Roast Sticky Chicken-Rotisserie Style"? I have been using that recipe for years and it is by far the best chicken recipe ever!!!! And the best part it......you don't need a rotisserie!

Search This Blog